Tuesday 1 May 2012

Marrying a Millionaire


Other Title: To Marry a Millionaire
Korean Title: 백만장자와 결혼하기

Aired on SBS - Winter 2005 - 16 episodes

Main cast:

  • Kim Hyun Joo as Han Eun Young
  • Go Soo as Kim Young Hoon
  • Yoon Sang Hyun as Yoo Jin Ha
  • Son Tae Young as Jung Soo Min
  • Jung Jin as Jung Sung Shik




  • Rating (from memory): -/+


    Title: Makes sense. It's the name of the real-TV show that is prominent in the drama.

    Girl: For me, she's the biggest weakness of the drama. I hated her the first time I watched it. It was better the second time. On the paper, she's good: she works hard to support her loser family but I think I have a problem with this actress because even when she's supposed to be nice, I get mean vibes. (-)

    Other girl: (Hello love square!) I like her. She's doing bad things to prevent the main couple to get together but she's soft and I buy her love. She knows what she wants.

    Boy: He manages to be cute and hot. He's a rare type of lead and I want to praise the actor (Go Soo) for making him work. He's hard-working, loyal to his family but he also lacks confidence. He has a complex for not being intellectually bright. But he's so eager and yes, charismatic that you can't help but cheer for him. (+)

    Other boy: I don't really like the actor so it's harder to like his character. And... I don't remember much about him so...

    Relationships: The building to the love square is good. (+) But I have some qualms about the main relationship. His love seems childish and it makes him kind of childish too and her appear as a meanie. Why does he love her again? (-) I wasn't as struck by it on a second viewing and that's why this drama is not a Minus. Also it gets better.

    Other characters: Her family is annoying but then her step-mother gets some depth and her step-sister is a comical relief. The sidekicks are pretty funny too. His family... well, I want to slap his older brother but his younger brother is cute. His relationship with his family is slightly interesting. The bad guy is a good sneaky bitter rival (the actor helps too)- I don't like him but I'm not annoyed by him.

    Music: It hasn't stuck with me.
    Funny factor: Apart from some minor character, not really.

    Other points: Parts of the drama take place in France and they really shot there so it's nice!
    It's also interesting to see the world of behind-the-scenes in the drama.

    Bottom line: Plot is good, there are some clever ideas, Kim Young Hoon is a great character BUT I found myself more engrossed in his story and growth than in his relationship with Han Eun Young. It's still enjoyable but when a romance drama doesn't make you root for the main couple, it can't be a Plus.


    Some more thoughts (not much) after the jump!



    Well, actually, I don't have much to add about this drama and why I rated it -/+. My main problem is with Eun Young. As I said, she's kind of unlikable, especially in the beginning.  And he's so nice with her that you don't like her for treating him badly.
    What I liked the most was the development of Young Hoon, how he works hard and finally finds something he's good at. I just wanted him to be happy :).
    I also really liked Soo Min. She couldn't be a true lead but I cared about her.

    You can see the successive arcs and it's good because it's not repetitive and the stakes/relationships shift.

    To the credit of this drama, I also don't remember glaring plot-holes or shamelessly unrealistic behaviour.

    If I watch it again, I'll update this review.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment